Pardalote Holt

Pardalote Holt
The centre of it all

Thursday, May 17, 2018

February and the ducklings appear again


As the evenings darken and mornings are delayed I find myself increasingly frustrated that I have so little time to follow my feathered friends. My breakfast tea is spent on the back deck listening for the start of the dawn chorus, still in the pitch gloom of night, and when I get home in the evenings the day has skittered off down the nearest rabbit hole leaving me in the dark again. The chooks are getting used to seeing me as 'the guy with the torch'; however, there's always the weekends.

Ducklings, I mentioned ducklings! Yes, the Plumed Whistling Ducks have now bred for the fifth year in a row (I think), so I'm not prepared to classify them as Breeding Residents". Unfortunately I missed them at the 'fluffball' stage, but I have now got them pinged.

Mum and Dad keep watch whilst the ducklings nap.
Odds and Sods

Young Brisbane Short-necked Turtle in Guanaba Creek

Lace Monitor scaring my ducks.

Superb Fairy Wren at Guanaba Creek

A trio of Superb Fairy Wrens taking a pause from playing tag.

Rear end of a Tau Emeald.


The birdlists are shorter because of the time I have to spot birds and I'm pretty confident that there are a lot that I miss.

Regulars (Seen daily)

Australian MagpieBar-shouldered DoveBrown HoneyeaterCicadabird
Common BronzewingDouble-barred FinchGalah
Laughing Kookaburra
Noisy FriarbirdPacific Black Duck
Peaceful Dove
Plumed Whistling Duck
Rainbow Lorikeet


Rainbow Lorikeet


Spangled DrongoSulphur Crested Cockatoo
Torresian Crow
White-throated Gerygone
White-throated Honeyeater

Common (Seen Weekly)

Forest Kingfisher
Leaden Flycatcher


Two female Leaden Flycatchers - mom and daughter?


Magpie Lark
Noisy Miner
Olive-backed Oriole
Striated Pardalote
Willie Wagtail
Yellow-faced Honeyeater

Uncommon (Seen occasionally)

Crested Pigeon
Eastern Whipbird
Figbird
King Parrot
Pheasant Coucal
Pied Butcherbird
Rufous Whistler
Scarlet Honeyeater


Scarlet Honeyeater in full song


Satin Flycatcher
Wedge-tailed Eagle

Rare (Seen once)

Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike
Blue-faced Honeyeater


Juvenile Blue-faced Honeyeater


Brown Goshawk
Channel-billed Cuckoo
Common Koel
Eastern Yellow Robin
Grey Shrike Thrush
Shining Bronze Cuckoo
Welcome Swallow
White-throated Treecreeper
Yellow Spoonbill
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo

50-species, which is about all for now. See you next month

No comments:

Post a Comment